Lena Lagsdon (Lena Lagzdiņa), born Jan. 14, 1891, in Ventspils, was a sister of Harry M. Lagsdon. Her father, Frank (Fricis) immigrated to the U.S. in May 1902, settling in Philadelphia. Her mother, Anna (Annie), followed with daughters Lena, 16, and Elizabeth, 11, in late October 1902, arriving at the port of Philadelphia on Nov. 4, 1902, aboard the S.S. Rhynland sailing from Liverpool.1 A younger sister, Elsie, was born shortly after the family immigrated. Harry M. Lagdson arrived in the United States in 1903. At the time of the 1910 U.S. census, the Lagsdon family lived at 275 Cornwall St. in Philadelphia.2 Lena's sister Elizabeth Lagsdon married Theodore Demberg in 1910. Anna Lagsdon died in March 1913.3 That same year in November, Frank married Kathryn V. Flynn, whose parents were Irish.4 Frank became a naturalized U.S. citizen in 1916.5 By that time Lena was living with Elizabeth and Theodore Demberg at 5155 Hoopes St. in Philadelphia, while Harry was rooming at 3821 Wyalusing Ave. At the age of 52, Lena Lagsdon in 1943 became a naturalized U.S. citizen. At the time, she lived at 3527 N. 16th St. in Philadelphia.6 Lena Lagsdon died Oct. 19, 1971.7
1. The National Archives at Washington, D.C.; Washington, D.C.; Series Title: Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; NAI Number: 4492386; Record Group Title: Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, 1787-2004; Record Group Number: 85; Series: T840; Roll: 41.
2. "United States Census, 1910," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MG78-861 : accessed 20 January 2017), Lena Lagsdon in household of Frank Lagsdon, Philadelphia Ward 33, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) ED 806, sheet 28A, family 8, NARA microfilm publication T624 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1982), roll 1405; FHL microfilm 1,375,418.
3. Kvietiņš, J. (1913, July 17). Mirušo kronika. Avots, 49, p. 346.
4. "Pennsylvania Civil Marriages, 1677-1950," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKJW-WKSQ : 19 January 2017), Frank Lagsdon and Katherine V Flynn; citing Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States, Register of Wills Offices from various counties; FHL microfilm 1,276,970.
5. National Archives; Washington, D.C.; ARC Title: Naturalization Petitions for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1795-1930; NAI Number: 126; Record Group Title: M1522.
6. "Pennsylvania, Eastern District Naturalization Indexes, 1795-1952," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KXF7-Z3M : 8 December 2014), Lena Lagsdon, 1795-1952; citing Naturalization, Pennsylvania, United States, NARA microfilm publication M1248 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.); FHL microfilm 1,412,464.
7. "Find A Grave Index," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVVX-TCWG : 13 December 2015), Lena Lagsdon, 1971; Burial, King of Prussia, Montgomery, Pennsylvania, United States of America, Valley Forge Memorial Gardens; citing record ID 12875450, Find a Grave, http://www.findagrave.com.