Browse items

File

Subject

Description

1934-00-00-PA-SundaySchool.jpg
Philadelphia Latvian Baptists
Pupils and teachers of the Philadelphia Latvian Baptist Sunday School pose for a photograph in the spring of 1934.
1920-00-00-PA-SundaySchool.jpg
Latvian Baptists in Philadelphia
The Sunday School of the First Lettish Baptist Church of Philadelphia poses in 1925 for a photograph outside the meeting house at the corner of Preston and Ogden streets in West Philadelphia. The image also was reproduced on the cover of the September 15, 1925, edition of Kristīga Balss, a Baptist semi-monthly periodical published in Latvia.
1932-04-17-PA-MasuPulcins.jpg
Latvian Baptists in West Philadelphia
Members of the Women's Missionary Society (Māsu misiones pulciņš) of the First Lettish Baptist Church of Philadelphia sit for a photograph on April 17, 1932. The society began its work in 1894. According to an article by Alma Treyan published June 1, 1932, in the Rīga-based Baptist journal Kristīga Balss, those pictured in the first row (left to right) are L. Gertz, M. Upmal (founding member), E. Krastin, M. Licke (founding member), R. Inke, M. Fischer, K. Sommer, L. Girgen, and L. Upeneek. In the second row (left to right) are S. Grikman (former chair), J. Egle (former chair), M. Pluhme (former chair), A. Treyan (secretary), A. Yunag (vice chair), Natalija Peterson (chair), M. Brenson (treasurer), L. Robinson (learned secretary), J. Luhks (manager), and A. Johnson (officer). In the third row (from left to right) are E. Fuhrman, E. Luhks, M. Pawelkop, A. Aldin, J. Krusen, A. Yunag, and L. Spruhde. In the fourth row (from left to right) are M. Stanislaw, A. Smit, K. Lukewitz, M. Dambis, L. Fischer, L. Reke, E. Johnson, M. Kamer, and A. Spruhde.
1944-04-16-PA-MissionarySoc.jpg
Latvian Baptists in West Philadelphia
Members of the Women's Missionary Society of the First Latvian Baptist Church of Philadelphia pose for a group photograph on April 16, 1944, as they mark their 50th anniversary. The women's group began its work in 1894.
1919-00-00-PA-PirmasSkanas.jpg
Print culture
The cover of a rare collection of religious poetry, Pirmās skaņas, self-published in 1919 by a Latvian Baptist, M. Mureneek (M. Mūrniece), in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. The author's forward suggests the poems were written in an urban setting, most likely in Chicago.
1944-10-00-NY-Beacon.jpg
Immigrant press
The Beacon was a Baptist newsletter published in New York that appeared for the first time in April 1929 and continued until May 1934. It was revived in April 1936 and continued until at least 1951, providing news primarily about Latvian Baptist activities. These examples were photographed in the Immigration History Research Center at the University of Minnesota.
1906-02-08-PA-NeubukFamilyAvots.jpg
Latvian Baptists
The Rev. Jānis Neibuks (John Neubuch, Neubuck, Neubuk) and his family are pictured in the February 8, 1906, issue of the Baptist periodical Avots, published in Rīga. Neibuks was the second pastor of the Philadelphia Latvian Baptist Church and also served as pastor of the Boston church.
1912-00-00-PA-KweetinBooklet.jpg
Latvian Baptists
In 1912, as part of an appeal to raise money for a new church, the Rev. Jānis Kvietiņš, then pastor of the First Lettish Baptist Church of Philadelphia, wrote a 16-page pamphlet on the history of the Latvians titled Who are the Letts?: A short historical sketch of the Letts and the First Baptist Church of Philadelphia.